1. How would you prioritize the reintroduction of the American Bison?
I think it seems very important. It's hard to prioritze things like this in the scape of potential world war, famine, local homelessness, illiteracy, etc. etc., but I think that at the core of a lot of our unrest, racial discrimination, displaced communities, and apathy are histories like that of the American Buffalo. As Fred Du Bray of the Cheyenne River Sioux said, "We recognize the bison is a symbol of our strength and unity, adn that as we bring our herds back to health, we will also bring our people back to health." It's a matter of respecting what we have been given: what our ancestors and land been through to bring us where we are now. Metaphorically, giving attention and support to the reintroduction of the American Bison is feeding this country a big bowl of nutritious and warming food that reminds us of goodness and our connection to the land that brought it forth, and gives us strength and vitality to make more motions that feed us instead of destroy us.
2. How would you assess "The New Pill promises to reduce breast cancer risk"?
Well, my first response, honestly, is that's great that women will be at less risk for cancer from their birthcontrol, why not put all of this effort into designing a male contraceptive? hmmmm? Reading on to the "it also stops women having periods altogether" part, I'm a bit disgusted. I realize that for some women this would be a real blessing and i greatly sympathize with those who go through such torturous periods. Of course, coming from a TCM perspective i can't help but think that this is a sign that there are some significant imbalances in their bodies that shouldn't be masked, but treated. Offering the option to any women who wants to stop her period seems sad to me, as it furthers the disconnection many women already have to their bodies. i don't want to speak for the rights any woman has to make for her own body, but i wish this kind of thing wasn't such a trend. The birth control pill, historically, has offered a lot of liberation for women, since it first being smuggled into the U.S. from France. It is encouraging that scientists are trying to limit the amount of side-effects the pill can have, but i wouldn't necessarily call it a milestone for women's health.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I think you make a good point about birth control pills. I wonder what affect that has on women and their breast health. I'm suprised that scientists don't link it to breast cancer because birth control does regulate female hormones.
Post a Comment