
1. If you had access to all resources how would you deal with "the global crisis in diet"?
1. Distribution of Information. So that nobody can say, "i didn't know," after they've bitten into a fast-food sandwhich with enough sodium to exceed their daily value.
2. More education: Public service announcements of the effects of high fat, high sugar, high sodium diets can have on their health, and most importantly on their childrens' health.
3. Critique specific businesses publically. Our local and national news, as well as our food critics should be handling this issue and targeting offensive reataurant chains to change their habits.
4. Do NOT serve Taco Bell, McDonald's, Pizza Hut or Burger King in our school cafeterias!! Students (or anybody) should not be eating processed food which makes you comatose and constipated, to be blunt. School districts should be making business alliances with local farmers and grocers to have healthy food provided. (If kids are addicted to the other crap, they can bring it from home, but at least the school won't be providing it).
5. Teach children about responsible investing and the most basic level: giving corporations (or non-corporations) your monetary support when you recognize that they are nourishing the community. Help children, teens and adults see that they have the power to demand changes about what goes into their bodies.
2. Would you expect "carbon offsets" to work effectively?
I think that it sounds like a pretty cool idea that is worth a try. I'd be very interested to see (and hopefully breathe) the results. The cynic in me (which thankfully is not my presiding instinct) says that polluters will find a way to pollute, that big businesses will find loopholes, and that the overall effect will not change. The idealist in me sees that simply the step of making individuals aware of what they are "spending" on a daily basis could have huge effects. I think that along with the "carbon offset" program there would need to be a lot of regular and serious inspections of companies' usage, as well as on ongoing educational team that work with everybody to learn how to continually cut carbon-spending quarterly.
3. Do you agree that laughter really is the best medicine?
How do you feel after you've had a really hardy (hearty) laugh? like you've relaxed, released tension, let-go, disregarded that little voice that says to stay in control? maybe you've even cried or felt suddenly thankful for whatever/whoever brought laughter into your day. I am not surprised if there are biochemical reactions that reduce your stress-level or boost your immune system. Laughter brings us to the present moment, in touch with the juice of life instead of struggling against it. If people could stop and laugh more often and find the beauty in making someone else truly smile, i'm sure we'd all be a lot happier and healthier.
1 comment:
Amen to your 5 points on dealing withe the global diet. I too agree that starting at the schools is a top priority and in some ways really starts there. Kids crave foods that they know and are told/fed on a daily basis as a practice. Other than the Bay Area, I think there maybe a long way to go as to people really taking responsibilty for their health. Whenever I leave the Bay Area and see what food options are out there-it's really quite appauling! Well, maybe next time I drive through Hollister, mabe I can just start laughing = ) hee hee.....
Post a Comment